It has antibacterial and anti-fungal activities1.
Camphor in large doses is toxic. Toxicity symptoms include a headache, nausea, excitement, confusion, and delirium.
It also affects the central nervous system and is toxic to humans. Toxicity symptoms in adults have been noted after use of as little as 2 gram.
Key therapeutic benefits:
- Camphor liniment is used for relief of pain in muscular rheumatism.
- Camphor oil is used externally for rheumatism. Applied externally to the skin, It acts as a rubefacient.
- It is taken internally as a carminative. It has stimulant, antispasmodic, rubefacient and analgesic properties.
- It clears infections from the lungs and the respiratory tract. Its inflammatory property is helpful in alleviating joint aches as a result of rheumatism and arthritis.Its aroma is calming, which makes oil and excellent relaxant.
Used in Movido
- Adhikari et. al., J Instn Chem India, 1976, 48, 223; Thind & Suri, Indian Perfum, 1979, 23, 138; Naqvi et. al., Pakist J sci industr Res, 1985, 28, 269.